Thursday 31 January 2013

Review: Benefit They're Real Mascara

After hearing a LOT of great things about Benefit's They're Real Mascara, I went for a look around the Benefit shop in the Trafford Centre with Chris.

I was stood reading the packaging, admiring, coveting, wishing it wasn't so damn expensive, and then Chris offered to buy it for me - I refused, he offered again, I refused again, he told me he'd only offer one more time, I accepted.

We came home and I immediately removed my mascara and applied this... Oh My God.

My eyelashes are naturally stumpy at best - I usually wear eyeliner along the base of my lashes, and then a couple of coats of mascara, to make them look a bit thicker and longer.  One coat of this and POW eyelashes everywhere.

I didn't believe the hype, but it's all true! Every word.  With the first coat, my eyelashes were longer, thicker and jet black, and with the second coat they practically touched my eyebrows.  Amazing!

I'm not sure if it's the mascara wand or the formula, but they're both different to any high-street mascara I've tried before.  The wand is plastic with little spikes all around, and longer spikes on the end - so you can actually get the eyelashes in the inner and outer corner of your eyes, and it makes all the difference!

The formula is wetter than most mascaras I've used before, and it doesn't dry super quickly, so you have time to apply a coat and fix your lashes into the right position to avoid clumping before you apply the second coat if you need it.

The instructions say to apply the mascara starting at the base of the lashes and slowly wiggle the wand toward the tips - it's definitely the only way I've found to apply it to avoid my lashes sticking together, just because the formula is so wet.

Ingredients - Paraben Free
I also find that I need to curl my lashes before I use it, because mine aren't very curly naturally - it's pretty lightweight, so it doesn't weigh down your lashes at all and holds the curl really well.

I've not had any issues with the mascara crumbling or flaking off, and it stays on until you wash it off.  It's definitely got the longest wear of any mascara I've tried before.  Whilst that is a major positive, the negative is that it is quite difficult to remove.  I've adapted my nightly face routine to include an oil based cleanser around the eyes - either Dermalogica's Precleanse or DHC's Deep Cleansing Oil, whichever is closest - followed by my usual Witch face wipes.

It is pricey, as I mentioned, at £18.50/8.5g, but it's DEFINITELY worth the money.  If you have stumpy lashes like mine, or if you're looking for a mascara that won't clump, or you simply want one that will stay put for as long as you need it to, this is the mascara for you - give it a try, you won't be disappointed!

I've included some photos below to show the comparison between my natural/usual/they're real lashes.

Natural lashes - No mascara or eyeliner
Lashes with  2 coats of Maybelline Colossal Volum'Express Mascara and eyeliner 
Lashes with 2 coats of Benefit They're Real Mascara and no eyeliner

Available to buy from Benefit (2 free samples with every online order) and Boots for £18.50.



Previous Post: Review: Elegant Touch Nail Polish Remover

Next Post: My Miracle Product: Tamanu Oil

No comments:

Post a Comment