Wednesday 9 January 2013

Review: Glossybox August 2012 & The Eve Appeal


Glossybox is a monthly subscription of 5 high-end beauty product samples (with some full-size products sometimes, too) for £10 + £2.95 p&p.

You can earn Glossydots by reviewing the products sent to you in a quick survey, and redeem points for a free box. (1000 GlossyDots = 1 free box)

 'Tried and tested by the Glossybox Pros, Glossybox does the hard work for you'

The first product in the August 2012 Glossybox was a bottle of Lipcote Lipstick Sealer, which I was thrilled about!  I had a bottle of Lipcore previously, but used it with a cheap red lipstick, stained the brush, stained the liquid and it didn't work properly after that.  

This one has different packaging and seems to dry quicker - I'm not sure if that's true or if it's my imagination, but my old one definitely had a red lid.  And it works! My God it works, once you put this over your lipstick, that colour is not coming off.  Don't put too much on though, I did and I had a lopsided numb face for like half an hour.  Mistake.  

With a RRP of £3.99/7ml, it's affordable and a must-have for any handbag.



The second product was Alessandro - Pro White, a nail polish with 'an optically white effect' and 'an anyi-yellow formula'.  It's meant to be applied onto clean nails and worn alone, but it has a kind of a blue/UV tint to it, rather than whitening, so I think it makes my hands look strange - Worn on top of a blue/purple nail varnish though, it's great! It gives a really cool holographic effect and is actually a pretty good top coat.  The packaging is great, too - The lid has grips on either side so you can really get a good coat on without messing up too much.  I wouldn't recommend it as a whitening polish, but if you want a subtle holographic blue top coat? Small market but you never know who's reading!  

(RRP £7.85/10ml)








Next was a Deep Cleansing Oil by DHC,  on first impressions, I wasn't impressed - the packaging looks cheap, it's a murky yellow colour that looks like olive oil (which, funnily enough, it is), it just didn't scream 'put me on your face'.  I read the leaflet, and it claimed to remove even waterproof mascara without leaving a trace behind.  I tried it, it works really well, but then when I saw the ingredients and the RRP, I was appauled.  It's basically olive oil and rosemary oil with added preservatives.  Olive oil costs, on average, about £3 for 250ml.  Rosemary oil costs about £1 for 10ml (DHC would have used less than 1ml in their 200ml bottle).  This gives a total cost for a DIY DHC of around  £2.50.  Their RRP is £18.50/200ml.





A Glossybox product is next in the 08/12 box, with a lipstick in 'Glossy Pink' - created with Kryolan.  I was a bit dubious when I saw Kryolan had an input, knowing that they make mainly theatrical cosmetics, but this lipstick is lovely. It's a really soft, dusky pink and fits my skin tone pretty well.  It feels really moisturising - my lips never dry out when I'm wearing this, and it lasts forever! - and the packaging is pretty sleek, too.  I was really impressed, I use it all the time and have received quite a few compliments whilst wearing it.  

It has an RRP of £9.50/4g, but isn't available to purchase.  Other Kryolan lipsticks are available online, with varying prices.

Finally in the August Glossybox was a pot of Eve's Balm, by All For Eve (RRP £4.95).  It's a 'soothing recovery balm' with chamomile, lavander and wild mint, which helps to nourish dry, chapped skin.  It's amazing.  I use it anywhere that gets scraped or sore or dry, and it gives such good relief instantly.  The packaging is really cute and handy, with a little mirror in the lid, and unlike my many pots of Vaseline, this one hasn't ever melted down into a gloopy mess.  Aside from being a great product, it's also for a very good cause.


All For Eve is the multi award winning philanthropic beauty venture, set up with the sole intention to raise funds and awareness for gynaecological cancer research by donating all net profits to The Eve Appeal.

The Eve Appeal is a Gynaecological Cancer Research Fund - For better detection and prevention of all five gynaecological cancers.  Formed in 2005, they have been working hard to provide funding for the Department of Women's Cancer, based at the University College London.  

Reports show that The Eve Appeal have consistently provided 15% of the department's total income, as well as promoting awareness through a variety of campaigns and events.

In buying this range of paraben free beauty products that were designed to instill courage and poise and which frankly no bathroom should be without, you are choosing to make a difference to the lives of all women across the UK.

No comments:

Post a Comment