Thursday 10 January 2013

Review: Glossybox September 2012

Glossybox is a monthly subscription of 5 high-end beauty product samples (with some full-size products sometimes, too) for £10 + £2.95 p&p.

You can earn Glossydots by reviewing the products sent to you in a quick survey, and redeem points for a free box. (1000 GlossyDots = 1 free box)

 'Tried and tested by the Glossybox Pros, Glossybox does the hard work for you'




The September edition of Glossybox was exclusively designed by Maggie Li, an up-and-coming London based illustrator, and one fifth of ZombieLondon.  The first product in the box was Techni.Art Full Volume Extra Mousse by Loreal, which can be used as a heat styling aid, and helps to block UV rays.  

The packaging is pretty standard, in my opinion, and far too much comes out at once, then more dribbles out afterwards, making a mess inside the lid.  It has a pretty strong hold, and I was able to curl my hair with just the mousse and a diffuser. it was indeed a weightless finish but I found it made my hair too crunchy.  

And that was just one 'mandarin sized amount', the packaging recommends 2.  If you don't mind the crunch in return for good volume, by all means try this product - however, I prefer lighter mousses and root boost powders so it wasn't exactly my cup of tea.

(RRP. £10.30/250ml, Available from Fabriah.com for £3.80/50ml and TheSalonLook.com for £7.63/250ml)


Second, Vitamin E Moisture Cream from The Body Shop, a 'best-selling daily moisturiser'.  I got a small 15ml sample, and it's still mostly full - I only used it once before checking up on it. 

It has little to no smell, despite its 7 fragrance ingredients and has a slight pink colouring to it thanks to the ingredient CI 14700 - an Azo Compound which has been banned from use as a food colourant due to it being a Carcinogen (affects nerve transmissions to the brain, causing genetic damage) - I don't want that soaking into my skin

 It also contains 5 preservatives - 4 of which are parabens.  To anyone looking for a Shea butter moisturiser, I'd recommend buying pure Shea butter.  Not this.


The third product in the 09/12 box was Extra Care, Wonder Eye Cream by Balance Me - 
'A triple-action eye cream to help revitalise weary eyes, smooth away dark shadows and reduce the appearance of fine lines with super hydrating hyaluronic acid to help brighten and smooth the delicate skin around the eyes.'   

I haven't noticed any brightening or smoothing effects so far, but I use it sporadically, it does have nice moisturising qualities though.  The packaging is cute, and it has a really thin applicator on the 10ml bottle, so you can get just the amount you need - not a lot for eyes. 

 It doesn't have any bad ingredients, no fragrance or colour, but it does have a pretty high price tag for a product that has no visible results - if you need that extra moisture around your eye area, I'd be more likely to recommend avocado oil or Shea butter. 

(RRP. £20/15ml or £14/10ml.  Available from BalanceMe.co.uk)


Next in the box was a sample of Fame by Lady Gaga - I was so happy to see this little phial of black liquid!  I'd seen and heard such great things about this perfume and was dying to try it - it lived up to my expectations.  The black-to-clear fluid formula looks so good, I don't get bored of putting it on, just to watch it change colour.  

And the smell, I guess that's the important part, the smell is amazing - the ingredient list doesn't give too much away, with cryptic names such as 'Tears of Belladonna' and 'Incense', but essentially it smells like apricots and honey with a darker base note that I can't quite put my finger on.

It's so good that I asked for some for my birthday, and my mum got me a bottle, which I keep in my handbag (I have a Mary Poppins bag - anything you need, want or could dream of, it's in there).  The bottle is so beautifully designed, with an edgy, gold, claw-like lid and a soft and gently rounded bottle, it looks almost alien.  I love it, it's my favourite perfume, not just another celebrity fragrance, an actual perfume.

(RRP. £32/50ml. Available for £19.99/30ml, £26.75/50ml, £32.99/100ml from FragranceDirect.co.uk)


Finally in the September box was an envelope of samples of Glamoxy Snake Serum and 5 Minute Facial by Rodial.  

The Glamoxy Snake Serum is an 'advanced neuropeptide, designed to mimic the effects of the Temple Viper Venom, give a mild freeze-like effect supporting the reduction of visible facial contractions. Liposomes work to fill lines instantly and a ground-breaking oxygen carrier boosts glow and radiance for fresher looking skin with a 3D plumping effect'.  It tightens the skin and does make it look smoother, which I wasn't expecting.  

It contains Perfluorodecalin, a commercially manufactured chemical which has the ability to transport oxygen to specific locations, to  promote healing.  That can only be a good thing, right? The samples lasted me a good week or two.  It is priced, however, at £125/25ml.  A ridiculously high price for such a small amount, but it is a high-end brand and you pay for the name.

(RRP. £125/25ml, available from StrawberryNet.com for £106.50/25ml)


5 minute facial is a 'lifting and decongesting mask that targets age spots and helps reduce the appearance of fine lines by stimulating the skin’s natural collagen.'  It did pretty much the same as the Glamoxy Snake Serum, but to a slightly lesser extent, and it is more reasonably priced (still £35/50ml, but more reasonable than £125.)  

It contains pomegranate, pineapple and grape extracts, along with plant collagens.  It made my skin feel smoother, but I wouldn't make it my go-to product and that's purely because of the price tag.



(RRP. £35/50ml, available from StrawberryNet.com for £30/50ml)


Previous Post: Review: Glossybox August 2012 & The Eve Appeal
Next Post: Review: Glossybox October 2012

No comments:

Post a Comment