Wednesday 23 January 2013

Review: Elf Studio Flawless Finish Foundation

This has been my go-to foundation for well over a year now, for one simple reason - it doesn't break me out.  There are many other plus points to this, but that is the main one for me - the oil free formula is great on my skin.

I started buying this back when it was about £3.75, and the price has jumped up to £6.75/29g now, which is why I chose not to repurchase - why not try something new for the same price?  It'll still be here if I decide it's the only one I can ever love.

Now it's not got the best coverage, and it doesn't last long, but it has SPF15 UVA/UVB coverage, and that's a must (you should try to get SPF in as many of your face products as you can manage, but if you can't get SPF foundation, opt for SPF moisturiser.  Make sure you have that protection there, or you're risking your skin looking old and tired too soon, as well as skin cancer.  Bad times.)

This foundation comes in a glass bottle with a black plastic lid, and a pump dispenser.  The down side to this is that, once the product is out of reach of the pump, it stops working.  For the past 2 months I've been unscrewing my bottle and applying it via the back of my hand.  Now, for people who don't know there's product left and don't unscrew the pump, that's a massive waste of money - about 1/3-1/2 of the bottle.  Not a small amount.

As I said, I've been scraping it out for about 2 months now, and a bottle lasts me around 3-4 months at most.  One pump/small pea sized amount is enough to do my whole face, and build it up in the areas where I need the most coverage (blemishes, redness).  It is buildable, but to an extent.  I wouldn't buy this if I needed heavy coverage, but it's perfect for light-medium coverage.

The texture is really silky, and it goes on really light.  It doesn't feel like it's sitting on your skin, it feels like it's soaking in like a moisturiser would.  It blends out really well, too, and I've never been left with a dirty line around my face/neck, so I'm pleased with that.

It comes in 6 shades - Porcelain, Sand, Buff, Caramel, Almond and Coco.  I use porcelain, which fits my light skin tone really well.  I do usually use the lightest/second lightest foundation shade available, but this is one of the best fits I've found for my skin colour.

As for longevity, it doesn't score a 10, that's for sure.  It lasts a few hours, and then seems to come off my skin, which is strange considering I don't have oily skin at all.  It just seems to wear away and my blush is left sitting on a naked face, and whilst that isn't so bad if you're using it for light coverage, anything more than that and you're not really getting any use from the product.

Overall, this is great for everyday wear if you have clear skin and want something lightweight on your face, but if you don't want your spots to be revealed half way through your day, this probably isn't for you.


Previous Post: Bourjois HealthyMix Serum Foundation - First Impressions
Next Post: Review: ELF Mineral Blush

No comments:

Post a Comment